Thursday, April 9, 2009

Book Review: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

*this might show up twice. I have cross posting enabled on my other blog spot, but it isn't showing up here, but now it might show up twice. I'll delete this post if it does.*


On Sunday night (April 4), at 9:30 or so, when I finished reading my last book, Old Man's War, I started reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. This is not really a book I thought I'd read. I first heard about it shortly before the movie came out, in early 2008. It sounded sort of interesting, but so did many other books along the same vein. (heh, odd choice of words.) Anyway, a few weeks ago I went for dinner at my Best Friend's house and she mentioned that if we could ditch the kids, we could rent Twilight (the movie) and watch it because she wanted to see it. I did too, just not enough to see it in Theatres. I really felt like watching it, but because Arthur was out with friends that night, I had the kids, so I couldn't stay. It's not the kind of movie I could let my 3 year old watch, and it would be MUCH too late for my one year old. So, I went home, put the kids to bed, got a glass of red wine and debated watching the Sex in the City movie. In the end, Twilight won out, I rented it through Video On Demand and watched.


By the end of the movie, I was online looking for the books. I found the box set of all four (that are already out) on sale, marked down from $90 to $56, minus my $5 coupon, and free shippiing. They came to exactly $54. Now all I had to do was wait.

I was still reading Eragon when I bought the Twilight series, so I was occupied. I even lent the first two books to my friend (who finished both in less than a week.) Last Saturday she traded me back the first two for the last two.

That brings us to last Sunday. I finished my book but wasn't tired enough to sleep yet, so I started Twlight.

I finished it Tuesday night, which is in itself rather impressive. It's not short, 544 pages, (althought I think the last 30 or so are actually an excerpt from the second book, I read them though!). I got to read it for an hour an a half on Sunday, for an hour at lunch on Monday, for a couple of hours monday night, and when I got home from Sparks on Tuesday (which was after 9:30PM) On Monday night we watched some TV too. Which brings me to the point of this whole thing, the book review.

Click on the cover to be taken to a page with a description of the book, if you don't already know.
I found the book to be just like the movie, which is actually visa-versa. It did not differ much, there are some little changes, like one character in the movie representing two from the book. But the book was so fluid to read.

Even though I knew what was coming next, I couldn't put it down. It is cheesy, a teenaged romance novel centered around a vampire and his teenaged girlfriend, a-la Buffy and Angel, but without the girlfriend being a super powered vampire hunter. They are still two people whose worlds shouldn't mix, for the most obvious of reasons, he should want to eat her. :-) There are some times that things are over the top, but I kept reminding myself, this is a story about a girl in grade 11. It reads like a story about a girl in grade 11. And it kept bringing back all my feelings about highschool, and I could sympathize with Bella's over the top reactions, because I remember myself reacting to things that way too at that age.

All in all, a very good read, I highly recommend it. and by the way, it's classified at "horror" becasue it has a vampire in it. However, it's no more scary than Harry Potter, less scary actually, since at no point are there pages written about characters being terrified. Oh, they are scared at certain points, but nothing like what you might think will happen.

See the other books on my list here.

4 comments:

Ter said...

this is the second twilight book review to show up on my dashboard today.

Allison said...

From me you mean? I posted it once using Multiply, and that is supposed to cross post it to my Livejournal and blogger all at once. But the review never showed up in Blogger, so I posted it again.

Oh well, really, I do this for your benefit, you are the only one who reads my blog. :-P

Well, and for mine too, I guess.

Ter said...

No I meant you're not the only one who posted a twilight review today.

and I'm sure other people read your blog. I've seen a couple other comments here and there. but the trick to getting comments is to give them too. But I have no life, that's the only reason I have time to do that.

Allison said...

you are 100% correct in that. However, in order to do that, I'd have to find some time to go read other people's blogs. :-P

Happy Easter!