Monday, July 27, 2009

Family BBQ


On Saturday my In Laws invited my family over for dinner. They are a glutten for punishment it would seem. They are a very small family. When they had large family gatherings in the past, it tended to be my husband, his older brother, his parents, his aunt and uncle and their one son.




On the other hand, I have two brothers who both have girlfriends, my oldest little brother has a son of six and his girl friends has a one year old daughter, my youngest little brother had a daughter of five and a son of 19 months, my sister is dating a guy, then there is myself our two children and my parents. So, for just my family for dinner is 16 people. That's IMMEDIATE family. When we have large family gatherings it's NUTS. Christmas growning up for me was amazing. We'd all gather at my Grandpa's Farm in Ontarion and my Mom has eight brothers and sisters who are all married (except one) and all (except one) have children. There would be a MOUNTAIN of presents on Christmas morning. It was amazing to see. Seriously, it was 8 or 9 feet of presents with this little tree poking out the top. insane. The first time I had my inlaws for Christmas dinner which I hosted I told them that not everyone could make it, but to expect 45-50 people. they laughed at me because they thought I was exagerating. Then they hid in the kitchen because they couldn't handle the crush of people.

anyway, my sister and littlest brother couldn't make the dinner party, and my oldest little brother "B" (funny aside, our initials for my siblings, in order, are A, B, C 'S. My parents did that on purpose. Signing cards when we were little was always Janice, Howard and the ABC'S) didn't bring his girlfriend. But my parents had all the kids, so all five of their Grandkids came (B's girlfriends daughter isn't his). So, we were reduced in number. But boy did those kids have a BLAST.

We played soccer in the yard, and dodge ball (which is funny when you are playing with kids who are 19 Months to six years.) and the kids played in the rain barrel. It was hot, this cooled them off.


P, after his "bath" in the rain barrel.





The boys after their "dip." They are so cute.
There was so much food at this, you'd think my inlaws were expecting an army. There were smokies and sausages, hotdogs and other grilled meat (also in sausage form, but as big as my hand!) then homemade and store bought hamburgers. There was potato salad and Ceasar salad and chips and french fries. And pickles and onions and tomatos and all sorts of stuff to put on your assorted BBQ'd meat. And fresh raspberries picked off the bushes.
I brought a Strawberry Rhubarb pie which we didn't need because my MIL made two flans, one with blueberries and one with peaches. With Dream whip and Ice Cream. They also had these really old plastic cups. they were OV cups! Remember OV? Old Vienna Beer? I do. from childhood. I didn't drink it but it was always in my house. Anywho...
It was a super good time. We all had fun and sat around until the children were so grumpy that they had to go home (which is around 8 PM for the small ones.) My children stayed with my inlaws and Art and I went to a party which lasted all of 2 hours for me before I felt so sick I had to go home. that sucked big time!!!! Oh well, tubing will be better!!!! that will be a fun post. And long. But fun. Can't wait!!!!

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have a small family. There are times when I wish I had more siblings and had a larger family.

Controlling My Chaos said...

Wow, sensory overload. Do you need a nap after family gatherings like that?

Kiy said...

Wow. Just, wow! :)

BTW, I emailed you back after you left that comment on my blog - haha on me. It didn't go through as it was a non-reply comment, drat it all I usually look first! Here's the email - give me a shout if you want to do something:

I love your idea of a post. I need ideas! We are quite lucky that Emi loves and adores videos. We have a portable dvd player and tons of dvds, but I am hoping for some more ideas. We have a lap tray for her, but she just doesn't get it. I've tried it on her a couple of times, but she just wants it off. We are planning on the non-driving adult spending *some* time in the back seat with her (probably the after nap til arriving at the hotel - which is her witching time!). So we are thinking that's the time for the lap tray and crayons, etc. It's the etc I don't know what to do with! Coloring is an obvious, but I am stuck for other things. Emi is a pretty active gal. She usually plays with her Little People when watching movies/tv so we are thinking maybe a small baggie of those.

So, anyway.

When do you guys leave? I think it would be wonderful to do your idea of both posting. We could try to blog on the same day and then link to each other - and ask for suggestions from our readers.

Thanks for the well wishes,

Kiy