Monday, June 15, 2009

Library 2.0 Week 9: PODcasts

Ok, so I am not a video or audio person... I've probably only watched 10 youtube videos in my life, for some reason I'm just not interested in it.

So, this has probably been my least favorite assignment. That being said, it's actually kind of interesting!

I decided to do the "No iTunes" part of the assignment because my main itunes library is at home, and I'm not right now. So, I subscribed to The Library 2.0 Gang on my main RSS Reader, Bloglines. One of the questions from the assignment was to look at whether or not you could listen to the PODcast right from your RSS reader. Yes, I can! I really like bloglines!

I'm right now, as I'm typing this, not paying attention to a discussion between OCLC and a guy named Richard from the Library 2.0 Gang. I have a feeling that I might actually become interested in listening to some of these podcasts! There is only one of these a month, they seem to be conference calls. the quality is a little funny, the voices sound a little digitized, but that's OK.

It was very easy to add to Bloglines, I just clicked on the RSS Podcasts button on their site and chose Bloglines.

I'm sure that once I actually open iTunes and look at it, I'll be signing up for them left right and center...

Even though there was no "what would this do for libraries?" question as part of the assignment, there are obviously lots of applications for the library world in podcasts. I can see mini-instructional videos or audio presentations, such as how to search, how to log in, how to navigate the site... I can see little compliations of "what's new." I can see all sorts of things!

5 comments:

Ter said...

I'm willing to bet you never saw MY video yet! boo you!

but yeah, I can understand that some people don't like videos. I don't like them all. Some of them are incredibly stupid. Some, though, are really great. Like recently, I've started looking for crafting videos on YouTube. It happened by accident once, but what I like is that I can SEE how they are doing things, not just read about it, and pictures, while great, sometimes don't REALLY explain how it's done.

But no, I wouldn't watch every single video ever out there. I fully admit that often times I ignore a video in someone's blog, Or I might click it and if it doesn't capture my interest within the first 2 seconds then I often just move on.

Ter said...

(although I still think you should see my video and let me know what you think! It's probably my one and only!)

Unknown said...

Greetings from the guy named Richard - it's great to know we are being listened to. Hope you continue to find us interesting and useful!

Antonietta said...

Fantastic review. You pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly.

Terri - good idea...I never even thought to look for video tutorials.

And by the way - fantastic look for your blog. I've just been reading from my RSS for a while and I didn't notice until now that you changed your formatting.

Ter said...

That's funny that Richard found your blog post. ;o)

And yeah I forgot to mention that I like your new background, although it was hard to read the comments with it??

Yeah, Antonietta, it is really handy for craft tutorials. If you're ever looking for something specific, let me know, maybe I've already come across it. You should join us if we ever get around to setting a craft night as we keep talking about, right, ALLI!?