Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Library 2.0

At work in my Library, the Powers That Be have established a course called Library 2.0. The purpose of Library 2.0 is to introduce the staff at my Library to Web 2.0 technologies (for those of you who don't know, that's collaborative technologies on the web, blogs, wikis, social networking sites, etc.)

This is week 3 of the course. In Week 1, we had to log in to the online learning system we have at the University and make a post on a discussion board. Week 2 we had to create a blog. I decided to use this blog even though it's a "personal" blog. I figure, I tell everyone I know about my life all the time anyway, so why not? Then I don't have to create another one. And there isn't anything in this blog that I haven't already shared with at least 5 people at work anyway. heh.

Week 3's assignment is to add RSS feeds to an RSS Reader. This is another "assignment" that I finished roughly three years ago. The previous Head of my Unit recommeded Bloglines to me and I've been using it since 2006 when I returned to work after my first Maternity Leave. I've used Bloglines to follow various websites that pertain to work (ARL and the COPPUL blog) as well as silly things like the Joke of the Day. I also have a Google Reader account (which I set up at the same time as Bloglines, but Bloglines notifies you that there is new content, Google doesn't, or didn't at the time) which I never check, but might start trying to remember to check because it recommended a feed to me for the Libraries and Information Technology group from ALA, and I thought it was interested and subscribed. So, now when I have time (ha!) I would like to look at some of their posts.

I'm really enjoying Library 2.0 right now, and even though so far it's all stuff I've done before (as most of it will be, I have a Flickr account already, I can (obviously) put pictures on my blog) I'm looking forward to looking at all this technology through my Library Glasses and seeing how my perception changes. Now if only I can find my Library Glasses... I do keep them on that little metal chain you know... right next to my bun and sweater set.

2 comments:

Antonietta said...

I'm enjoying the Library 2.0 course too.

I think you'll like google reader if you give it another shot.

I've got google/ig set as my homepage and I've got my calendar, rss reader, and email running all the time.

And...if you can't tell by my quick response to your blog...your blog is on my favorites :-)

Ter said...

hey Antonietta has a blog now too! something else for me to read. lol.

yeah courses are fun when you already know the stuff!!

(so hopefully I won't be a complete dunce at school this time around)