Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Free Coffee on Earth Day

So, in honour of Earth Day, if you bring your own mug in to Starbucks they will give you free brewed coffee. Nice! I have partaken of this already today. I'm going back for more coffee, but I don't think my second cup will be free. That's OK though.

What are you doing for Earth Day? What am I doing for Earth Day? Well, maybe today I'll get ambitious enough to start up my compost collection bucket again. I have the bucket. The main problem is keeping out of my husband's helping hands. By helping hands I mean he empty's it, then feels it's too yucky to bring back into the house. Then he leaves it outside (as in the winter, then it gets buried under the snow and I don't find it again until spring) or in the basement in the utility sink and I don't go get it. So, time to dig it out again and start adding stuff to my pile!

What else?

I use my own mug all the time for coffee here on campus. I never get paper cups (here.) I am using environmentally friendly cleaners at home. In fact, I'm having a Norwex Party on May 7th! Invites to follow. I've been trying to purchase enviromentally sound paint for my home. At work I try not to print anything, and all paper that I do have is recycled when I'm done. I'll be digging out my bike and riding that to work soon as well, but to me that's less about the environment and more about losing some of myself. Also, I try to bring my lunch in reusable containers, but that doesn't always happen. I should work on that more.

We will be continuing to recycle at home, replacing our two low-flow toilets at home with two more dual flush toilets soon, using long lasting light bulbs and responsible shower heads. I think every little bit counts!

So, get out there today, enjoy some sunshine and start straining your eyes for some leaf buds! They have to be on their way!

3 comments:

Ter said...

Tomorrow the poo poo guys are coming, finally! THen I can go out into my yard. I'm looking forward to that, I think. Though I don'tk now how I'm going to get the inside stuff done if I'm focused on the outside stuff. ack!

oh yeah I heard about the coffee too bad it's just the coffee because I'd go to get a free drink if I could have omsething other than coffee.

Well back to it!

Anonymous said...

We do what we can....recycle, composte, I use my own coffee mug, we refill our own water bottles, I bought a Yaris a year back (it's supposed to be almost as good as a Hybrid vehicle)....we do what we can!

Kristina P. said...

I don't drink coffee, but as soon as I'm done typing this, I am heading to Starbucks to get a Banana Chocolate Vivanno. In a plastic cup. With a plastic straw. Sooooo, hmmmmmmm.

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I will be back!