Thursday, February 20, 2014

DIY - Well... Sort of yourself...

I'm on a huge natural kick lately.  I've been taking the "throwback Thursday" concept wayyyyyy too far and going back a couple of hundred years, it feels like.  :-P

Back to a time when you knit your own wear, sewed your own stuff, made your own soap and the like.

I've been soap making for a year now, almost.  That may make it sound like I know what I'm doing, but really, I've made soap all of twice.  :-P  Four different recipes, but only twice.

I'm about to make another batch though, and branch out into Shampoo bars.  I'm totally enamoured with Marie at Humblebee and Me.  She's Canadian (well.. ok, she lives in Canada, and I'm pretty sure she's Canadian... the import bit is that she lives in Canada for me...  not because I have anything against Americans... it's just that it costs a bazillion times more to ship stuff from the US to Canada.. apparently crossing that invisible line that divides us is worth extra $$... and it's hard to find cost effective things in Canada some times!).  I found a great place for getting supplies online because of her posts, and I love her recipes.

I'm going to make my own shampoo bars because I've gone through the cycle of only baking soda to "wash" my hair, and while it's been great, my head is WAY less itchy and stuff... I still use hair styling products to tame my wild tresses (the curse of curly hair...).  I'm getting there.  That's my point of cutting out chemicals.  I know I'm not ready to give them all up.  I'm cutting out as many as I can though so I don't have to worry as much about the ones we still use.  I still get my hair dyed, because I want to.  I still use hair styling products, because I haven't ventured that far into DIY yet... one day maybe.  But not yet.  With all the cancer and the Alzheimer's and the everything else we hear about... I just decided I'm going to eliminate what I can, one day at a time.

Plus, this making it yourself stuff is just plain FUN.

So... this weekend is probably Shampoo bars and more soap, DIY Deodorant, and some make up essentials that I found on Humblebee and Me that I want to try.

Hopefully I will get around to writing a bit more too.  but.. alas.. time is something we can't make more of...  I wish though.  I really do.

No comments: