Monday, September 21, 2009

Going on the Road Again!



So, here it is! Road trip post #1.
Friday was very chaotic. We got up early, drove Art to work, then I dropped the kids off at daycare. I went and did my blood test from my physical (from July!) then went for an oil change. After my $35 oil change turned into an $80 oil change (there's always something else, like an engine cabin air filter and new rad cap) it turns out my back tires were completely shot. So, I had to take the van and buy two new tires. Luckily, the same ones we bought almost exactly a year ago (I got the new ones on Sept. 18th, and we bought the other ones Sept. 15th 2008!) were on sale again, so that was good. But as much as I was happy to spend an additional $250 on tires just before leaving... it was really annoying. I also had to take a cab home from Canadian Tire because I had no other way of getting home and it was already 9:45 am, and my Great Uncle Bob's funeral started at 11:00 am and I still had to shower and change and go.
So, the tire thing ruined my dream of being home before 10 AM so that I could finish packing and could leave to get Art by 1:30.
The funeral was nice, and it was great to see tons of family, although it made me sad to think that I've gotten to see tons of family recently due to all the deaths in my family.



So, I got home from the funeral, got my sister to drive me to get the van, then came home to pack. I got the kids at 3:00 (two hours later than I wanted!) and then went to get Art. After we obtained him, we still had to stop at his parents for the play pen, then renew the insurance on the van so it didn't run out on the road out of province, then stop for gas, THEN we were finally able to leave the city, at 4:30 pm. We had dinner in a hole, I mean, Brandon. I have certain standards for McDonalds, I really do. And I don't think hot food or salted fries should be out of the realm of acceptability. Call me crazy, but hey! Leaving late also had other consequences...
The worst of which is that we had booked a hotel in Moose Jaw, which is seven hours from Winnipeg. So, we got there at Midnight. heh. Which was actually 11:00 PM Saskachewan-onian time.

The kids slept in the next morning until a shocking six am... sigh, we were hoping for 8:00 am... oh well, we got on the road again early.

We had some fun driving. Doodle made a comment, after I saw a red barn which turned out to not be a barn, anyway, she saw another red barn and said to me "Mommy, now THAT'S a barn!"

It was hard for the kids to be in the car, but the DVD player made it fairly bearable. We stopped in Medicine Hat for a picnic lunch. We bought a BBQ chicked at Superstore and ate at a Traveller's Info place with a little playground. Then we drove to Vulcan AB. Yes, this little town has completely capitalized on it's name.


We stopped for some photos with their starship, and to take more pictures in their little Tourist Center.
We then ran up to Calgary (warp factor 7) and did a quick pre-shop at Ikea. That's right. We went to Ikea to plan ahead. ha ha!
We had an amazing steak dinner at my Aunts when we got here. Then turned in. Sunday is another post!

1 comment:

Ter said...

okay how the heck do you have time to post a blog post on vacation?

and secondly, you should've texted me to come get you if you needed a ride! I was out and about anyway.

and (ahem) you can't blame Brandon for it's rotten McDonalds. Rotten Ronnies is called just that for a reason and it's the same everywhere. However, I do agree that it's not the greatest place on earth. haha Why do you think I moved and never moved back there?